William and Pauline Walter opened their doors as William E. Walter Plumbing and Heating in Flint, Michigan in 1945. The first client, General Motors Institute, later to become Kettering University, is still a client today.
The Walter's incorporated the business as named in 1959. In 1961, Mr. Stanley Cherwinski and Howard Shand, purchased all shares of the company's stock. Due to the exceptional quality of the work performed, the company continued to grow, expanding it's customer base to include the Lansing and Saginaw, Michigan area, with a focus on commercial, institutional, and industrial construction projects.
Due to the growth in the automotive sector in Mid-Michigan, William E. Walter Plumbing and Heating Inc. became a major supplier of construction trade services to the automotive industry, completing a number of foundry and automotive assembly plant projects.
William E. Walter began its move into the health care field with the completion of the St. Joseph Hospital renovation project in Lansing, Michigan. To date we have completed nearly 1000 health care related projects.
In 1980 Howard Shand purchased Stanley Cherwinski's share of the corporation.
Looking to expand its client base in the early 1980's William E. Walter began to shift its focus to more commercial and institutional projects. With an eye on service, Howard Shand began the Commercial Services Division of William E. Walter, Inc.
With over 20 years of service experience to date, we have serviced over 300 different clients, providing clients with the 24 hour service they require.
In July of 1981, an office was established in Saginaw, Michigan. Three years later, an office was opened in Lansing, Michigan. In June 1988 our name changed to William E. Walter, Inc. Mechanical Contractors, to better reflect the work we perform. In 1989, Douglas Wyrwicki became Vice-president.
John Walter joined the firm in 1989 and became Vice-president in 1993. In 1995 Howard Shand retired and Douglas Wyrwicki became president. John Walter became president in 2011 with the purchase of Douglas Wyrwicki's share of the corporation and the current corporate structure of ownership remains to this date.
Today William E. Walter, Inc. provides multi-million dollar projects for clients in the Commercial, Institutional, Industrial, Chemical and Petro-chemical sectors of the construction market, continuing the tradition of excellence started 65 years ago by William and Pauline.